Timbau – a membranaphone instrument, conical in shape, used for samba-reggae music. Originated in Salvador, capital of Bahia, a state in Brazil.
*This blog post is long, with a lot of images*
Moving on from the first post.
I started by checking if I had enough batting. I bought this stuff over 20 years ago!
Next came piecing the batting and sandwiching it between the cotton layers. I made the drum skin cushion and the circle for the base of the bag.
I pinned the bag – a conical shape and tried it on my fit model. This fit model was delightfully compliant and open to being moved around. My family could learn from this (they won’t).
Next came the actual stitching of the side seams then adding the base. This was tricky! I eventually got it pinned in. I hand basted it and finally stitched in.
Next – checking the length all around, checking that the cushion works well.
I attached a deep collar section to the top of the bag. It is large enough to cover the additional height of the second drum, but collapses enough for just one drum. It has a drawstring to keep it closed.
I put a tab on the ends of the cord instead of knotting them. This photo’s depth of field is messed up.
I added a carry handle and put it horizontally so that it could slip over my Zuca. I use the Zuca to carry all my equipment and sheet music.
Happy drumming all round!