I enjoyed making the rash tops and bikini in 2018. My existing bathers are rather worn, stretched out and bordering on too loose in the water.

I decided to have a go at a super basic design and effectively draft my own swimwear block. I used Kwik Sew 3780, mostly because I got it at a fabric swap and it was free. I traced off the pattern and added a strap to the right shoulder. Well actually, I traced the left side and put a foldline mark in the middle. I took the following body measurements:

  • my torso from shoulder to shoulder, going under my crotch
  • shoulder to bust apex, and
  • compared the side seams with an existing pair of bathers.

The pattern was duly shortened, both above and below the bust points. I cut it out in both lining and main fabric, stitched it together using the chain stitch on the coverstitch machine and tried it on. I used a fabric I like but don’t love. It was bought (2 years ago) because it was bathers fabric, on sale and suitable for a trial.  I like how the back seam adds some shaping, but wished I’d matched up the print a bit better.





After trying them on I discovered that the straps needed shortening even more. Otherwise all was good. I slipped in some bra pads that I retrieved from an old sports crop top. The stitching and placement is less than stellar.

Next I pulled out the chain stitch I’d used for basting and stitched up all the seams using a three thread stitch on the overlocker, because Zede & Mallory say it is better for super-stretchy seams.  I cut the legs a bit higher as I prefer that and set about putting in the elastic. I was careful (took my time) and didn’t overstretch the elastic. I used a clear swimwear elastic. Zig-zagged on, turn over and coverstitch down.

I compared them to my old bathers. The old ones have stretched out a bit, both lengthwise and widthwise. They are comfortable and are perfectly OK for swimming!

Now I have a basic block I plan to get creative. Change the neckline, cut a few stripes into it and play with colour blocking.

I’m swimming twice a week now, I’ll be needing a few more pairs.




Fabric was from The Remnant Warehouse but has sold out. It was around $25.00 for two metres. I have over a metre left.

Lining – in the stash for some years. I have no idea where I got it.

Pattern – Kwik Sew 3780 and free.

Threads – Maxi-lock stretch in the coverstitch looper.

Annoyance factor – very low, surprisingly.

Do it again – yes.


About Accordion3

I sew, ride a bike, bake, read a lot of books and sometimes skate. I also play several instruments, one of them is the Accordion.
This entry was posted in Bobbins and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Swimwear

  1. Pingback: Looking back at 2019 – sewing and other stuff | Bobbins, Bikes and Blades

I love comments! I always read them and try to reply.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.