I’ve written about my raglan obsession here. A quick reminder: I had tried two different raglan patterns and decided to try a third. Finally I made up the Lane Raglan from Hey June patterns, and had it nicked by the youngest lass. I did like the pattern and the curvy hem so I reached for it again.
My previous experience in taping together PDF’s saw me going to a print shop for an A0 copy. I double checked the flat measurements around my arms, chest and hips. I decided to use the large bust version.
My chief gripe with raglan patterns is that the necklines are rather wide. Too wide for me. This time I traced off the highest of the necklines (size 2XL) and blended back to the 1XL size. All good so far. I used the hemline for 1XL and it was way too long. I had to trim 5cm from the length and use a 2.5cm hem.
Trying to add the neckband was incredibly difficult. I just could not get the folded over fabric to lay flat. I gave up and stretched the fabric out to make a single layer with a curled edge. The edge has curled over a bit more and I like it very much.
Sewing happened a week or two after cutting out. All construction was done on the overlocker and coverstitch machine. Most of the time my coverstitch is wonderfully behaved. I tried to hurry it a bit and a few skipped stitches ensued.I don’t mind too much. I can do running repairs if necessary. And remember to go more slowly next time.
Costs – the fabric was from Seamstress fabrics, but has sold out. It was around $28. It is a light french terry and very nice to work with.
Pattern – Lane Raglan and an extra $4.00 to have it printed.
Threads – generic overlocker threads and Maxi-lock stretch in the coverstitch looper.
Do it again – maybe, with a smaller neckline.
I like the fit across my bust and hips, the gentle shaping is flattering. The fabric is thin and more of long-sleeved t-shirt than a jumper. I have yet more french terry to use up. It is heavier in weight so I may size up as well as decreasing the neckline size.