My collar was constructed in this post. But a collar alone is not a shirt. The rest of the shirt was put together along standard lines. In the previous post I’d used the burrito method for attaching the yoke, and it is the bomb! Attaching the collar stand to the yoke was handled in the Soul Craft class with Jen Beeman. All that remained were the sleeves, cuffs, buttonholes, buttons and hems.
I attached the placket – using Jen’s approach. I don’t see me doing battle with tower plackets ever again. The continuous placket is so much better. I eased the sleeves in, after gathering the sleeve cap ever so gently. I use the differential feed on the overlocker for this. No dramas with the sleeves or the cuffs.
This photo is a bit blurry. I’m still getting used to the settings on my camera. The buttonholes were not straightforward and I was reminded that my machine has been much used over its’ 23 years and it took a few goes to get decent buttonholes. Some of the attempts:
Eventually the buttonholes all looked good. Next came the buttons and again, some troubles. I use the button stitch on my machine because it is quick and attaches the buttons securely. My buttons all came from stash, harvested from some of my husband’s old shirts. I shattered a few when the needle wasn’t lined up properly with the button’s holes.
I eventually broke one needle and three buttons. I decided to stop before I broke any more. The hem was easy, mostly because I did it the following day. I used the differential feed on my overlocker again, to evenly gather or stretch the curvy edges. The final shirt is lovely and I see some more in my future.
It would be good if my bust point was the same as my dressmakers model’s.