A new ukulele case – part two

DSC00651I put some straps on the back, a long vertical one for over my shoulder. It has velcro to keep it together. I also put in a horizontal one which fits over the retractable handle of my equipment case. When the shoulder strap is not in use it tucks away behind the horizontal strap.

DSC00661

Stitching the wall to the top and bottom bits was heavy going. My machine is a lovely machine, 21 years old and much used. I don’t like putting multiple thick layers through it. I tried to tidy up the edges with my overlocker but that was not ideal. I considered using bias binding or foldover elastic instead, but that would have required spending money.  Turning it out the right way was was a leap of faith.  Happily the uke fits well.

This was a beast to think about and then design in my head then on paper. It took such a long time. Everything came from my collection of remnants, leftovers and haberdashery stash. The flamingo and Insul-Brite came from making coasters. I bought a metre at Spotlight and was given the rest of the roll, an extra 75cm. Still have enough for oven mitts, more coasters and lunch bags. The flamingo fabric was also bought for coasters (for a flamingo obsessed friend). Absolutely nothing left now.

img_3663.jpgI’ve used it for about a month now. The shoulder strap is tidy and works well, but doesn’t get used much. I use the handle on the side. The horizontal strap is terrific. It goes over the retractable handle on my Zuca. My instruments and sheet music are all safely contained and I can wheel all my gear around. Once I’m at work I find the constant in/out of the case annoying. A strap for the uke is needed, but that means drilling holes in the base. (Nooo!)

Cost – One broken needle and roughly 12 hours of my life that I’ll never get back.

Pattern – self-drafted

Do it again? – NO – NO – NO! I am not a bag making fan, and this experience has only confirmed that in a major way. I initially did this because I knew I could and knew it would save money. And I wanted something a bit cheerful. I later found a really sturdy (but boring black) gig bag for $40. Good value at twice the price.

IMG_3663

The Zuca with the uke on top = Zucauke, or maybe UkeZuca !

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A new ukulele case – part two

  1. Janine says:

    Looks like you have done a terrific job and. Hopefully it will last forever making those 12 hours worthwhile. Beautiful ukulele by the way.

    Like

I love comments! I always read them and try to reply.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s