The elder lass needed a new top. She wanted a crop tshirt, in slinky blue fabric that she chose from the stash. This is the best representation of the colour of any of the photos I took. The top layer is the inside, underneath is the outside of the fabric.
I modified the Lark tee as per the client instructions:
- Reducing it to crop length
- Widening the hem so that it swings
- Elbow length sleeves, and
- Nice deep armholes.
The fabric was a slinky, drapey 100% synthetic. It sewed up beautifully, ironed well and was a nice quick sew.
I used complementary thread colours in the overlocker’s loopers, and almost exactly matching threads in the needles. I wanted to trial the idea, and I didn’t have time to go shopping for thread. I’m not sure about it. It stands out clearly around the neckline (see above) but not the other seams.
The elder wanted proper stitched down hems, they got a zig zag stitch. I did a quick trial with the twin needle on a scrap piece. Then I tried stretching it and all the stitches popped. Happily the neckline sits well without stitching.
Costs & details:
Pattern – Grainline Lark, bought a while ago. Fourth time I’ve used it, modified for the elder.
Fabric – 1.4 metres of 100% poly with some spandex, I used most of it. Free, from the 2016 Destash event.
Threads – all from the notions stash.
Total = Virtually free. I will get many more iterations from the Lark pattern, the fabric was free and I already had the threads.
Best of all – the elder lass likes it.