I decided that a toile was a good idea. I used an old quilt cover as it draped similarly to the broderie anglaise the elder had chosen.
The elder is petite, smaller than the smallest size in pattern. I had to take out 3 cm in length through the bodice.
The pattern is pleated then the pieces cut out. That’s 40 pleats across the front and another across the back. Each pleat was 2cm wide and 9mm apart. The front ones were 40 cm long, the back ones were 15cm long. A long weekend of pleating ahead of me. Then disaster struck. The spring that operates the pressure foot on my sewing machine broke. I’d managed about 15 of the 80 pleats. It went for a service.
The elder and the spouse started to fret. I put out a call via text, Facebook and Instagram. Within an hour seven different people offered me their machines, three of them were complete strangers!
A dear friend loaned me her Husqvarna, a similar age to my Pfaff. I used it to finish the pleating and the rest of the dress. Each pleat took between 5 and ten minutes to complete.
This dress took time!
Next came the cutting out of the pleated fabric, sewing up the side seams and back and the final fitting.
The finished dress and accessories in the next post.